The City at a Glance
We’re excited to welcome you to New York City! We are sure you will enjoy your time here, both during and outside the conference. To learn about NYC’s many attractions, please visit: www.nycgo.com.
The New York City Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities has put together an extensive Official Accessibility Guide, which contains listings of accessible hotels, restaurants, bars, and attractions as well as suggestions about the best ways to get around the city: http://home2.nyc.gov/html/mopd/downloads/pdf/accessibility_guide.pdf.
We will update this page in the coming weeks with restaurant and sightseeing recommendations and information.
Location and Transportation
The Graduate Center is located in Midtown Manhattan, one block north of the Empire State Building at Fifth Ave between 34th St and 35th St.
You can get to the Graduate Center easily from almost all subway lines. It is very close to Herald Square (Subway lines N,Q,R,W,B,D,F,V), Penn Station (Subway lines A,C,E,1,2,3), and the 33rd Street station (the 6 line).
A list of accessible train stations is available here: http://www.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm#manhattan. Among Manhattan’s accessible subway stations are Penn Station and the Herald Square station. Manhattan bus lines are also wheelchair-accessible. More information on public transportation and accessibility is available here: http://www.mta.info/accessibility/.
Hopstop (http://www.hopstop.com/) provides directions between all locations in New York City, and allows you to choose your method of transportation (subway / rail, bus, walking, taxi, etc.).
Public transportation, yellow taxis, and bus and shuttle van service are available from all three nearby airports: LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. Please go to the following Website to find specific information about transportation options: www.nycgo.com/?event=view.article&id=229998#1
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- Approximate Distance: 9 MI / 14.48 KM (about 30 minutes from Manhattan)
- By taxi: about $25 to Manhattan, plus tolls and tip
- Approximate Distance: 17 MI / 27.36 KM (about 60 minutes from Manhattan
- By Taxi: $ 45 flat rate to Manhattan, plus tolls and tip
- By public transportation: Air Train ($5) to the subway ($2.25/one-way)
- Approximate Distance: 12 MI / 19.31 KM E (about 50 minutes from Manhattan
- By public transportation: NJ Transit into Penn Station
Wheelchair-Accessible Cab / Shuttle
A Ride For All. Phone: 718 706 7433
Prices to midtown Manhattan from:
LGA ~ $50 (plus tip and $6.50 tolls)
JFK ~ $60 (plus tip and $6.50 tolls)
Newark ~ $60 (plus tip and $14.00 tolls)
Details: Can seat one wheelchair user and three other adults
Symphony Transportation. Phone: 800 253 1443
Prices to midtown Manhattan from:
LGA ~ $17 (plus tip and $6.50 tolls)
JFK ~ $19 (plus tip and $6.50 tolls)
Newark ~ $23 (plus tip and $14.00 tolls)
Details: Shared ride, seats several wheelchair users. Please call in advance.
There are plenty of inexpensive hotels within easy traveling distance of the Graduate Center. Try googling “hotels 35th street nyc” or look up hotels in the Times Square, theater district, Herald Square, or midtown area. To find listings of hotels with a range of accommodations, see the Official Accessibility Guide distributed by the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities: http://home2.nyc.gov/html/mopd/downloads/pdf/accessibility_guide.pdf.
Reasonably priced hotels located near the Graduate Center that advertise accessible facilities
* Holiday Inn Express Fifth Avenue
15 W 45th Street (on Fifth Ave). Phone: 212-302-9088.
* DoubleTree Metropolitan Hotel
569 Lexington Ave. (at 51st St). Phone: 212-752-7000.
Additional suggestions for reasonably priced hotels
* The Comfort Inn Manhattan (very close to the Graduate Center)
42 West 35th Street, New York, NY 10001. Phone: 212-947-0200.
* The Larchmont Hotel (in the West Village; recommended to us as an inexpensive, nice hotel in an excellent location)
27 West 11th St., New York, NY 10011. Phone: 212-989-9333.
* La Quinta Inn (just a few blocks from the Graduate Center, and rates start from $110)
17 West 32nd St., New York, NY 10001. Phone: 212-736-1600.
* Carlton Arms Hotel (a 10-15 minute walk/ride from the Graduate Center; shared bath starts at $80, single for $110; the hotel is known for fun and funky decor)
160 East 25th Street, New York, NY, 10010. Phone: 212-679-0680.
* The Pod Hotel (just off the 6 train and a 20-minute walk from the Graduate Center)
230 E 51st St. NYC, NY 10022. Phone: 212.355.0300.
* The Jane Hotel (a charming and inexpensive place; rather far away from the Grad Center but in the fashionable meatpacking district and close to the High Line and other places of interest)
113 Jane Street, New York, NY 10014. Phone: 212-924-6700